Thursday, September 27, 2007

Golden Raspberries (How's that for a straightforward title? :-/)

No, I'm not referring to the Golden Raspberry Award Foundation. (I'm very curious why they chose a Golden Raspberry for their title....wiki? Google? either way.)
I really do mean Golden Raspberries!
Behold their golden goodness!

I never knew there was such a thing as a golden raspberry until I stumbled across a recipe for Golden Raspberry Tartlets in a cookbook the other day. Intrigued by their unusual colour (well, unusual to me at least, since I'm used to raspberries being red or purple), I searched the web for more information on these golden beauties. I learned that the Fall Gold variety (which is pictured above) is the result of crosses between a Korean wild berry, the Fall Red raspberry, and the red Taylor raspberry. (Gah! I have been living a berry ignorant life! [no pun intended]. I never knew there were different types of red raspberries, let alone raspberries that aren't even red! So much to learn!) I have yet to taste a golden raspberry, but I hear that they're available from May through October, so hopefully I will be able to hunt some down.
Off to Gelsons! Or Whole Foods. Or the Farmer's Market. Or all three..

3 comments:

Gabriel said...

Wow! Thank you for informing us of the golden raspberry. It's all very interesting... =]

katefischer said...

Hi! I was berry ignorant as well until this past weekend. I'm American but I live in England and went for a walk near Lake Windemere this weekend. I came across what looked to be orange raspberries, I was interested but too afraid to eat them so I just took a picture and moved on and I'm now reading all about them online. Now I wish I would have tried them, but better safe than sorry I guess. Hope you found some to eat.

Diane aka cameldiva said...

I stumbled on your blog because I was looking for more information on golden raspberries. I was poking around my backyard a couple of days ago and thought my raspberries were looking rather anemic. When I looked closer, some fruit had fallen from the bush and I thought, "Odd, they can't be ripe , can they? " And I tasted one that was golden but had a peachy hue to it. It was awesome! Does not have a strong raspberry flavour as in the tartness I am used to raspberries. It was sweet, and faintly peachy. Now I realise I have a different variety of raspberries, and I hope to harvest whatever is left on the bushes.